Clinical Support: STEP Program
The Superficial Therapy Educational Program (STEP) provides extensive information on the use of low energy X-Rays (superficial and orthovoltage) for the treatment of both benign and malignant conditions.
The program continues to increase awareness of this essential treatment modality to oncology and dermatology professionals. STEP has been distributed to all UK radiotherapy centres and provides a comprehensive clinical resource that is proving to be invaluable for training radiographers, particularly in facilities that do not currently have superficial X-Ray systems.
The STEP program was developed by the STEP advisory panel, a team of clinical and academic Radiotherapy and Oncology experts, in collaboration with Xstrahl.
Visit the STEP Website
The STEP program covers six key topics:
- The history and development of low energy X-Ray therapy
- The physics of low energy X-Rays
- Malignant and benign conditions treated with superficial and orthovoltage therapy
- Common UK prescription schedules
- The treatment procedure, set up's and accessories
- Patient care; during and after treatment
In addition the program houses a resource section, which includes current guidelines on the management of malignant and benign conditions.